9.3.09

The Pinching of Spaces


For some reason, I can always hear when my downstairs neighbor, a middle-aged modelizer, has a lady over at his bachelor pad. The first time I heard Barry White while brushing my teeth, my curiosity was peaked and after poking about I realized that only standing by the sink could I hear best the downstairs floor. This got me thinking about the next step for the hidden spaces/workshop combo. What first began as a visualization of a building’s data led to an unexpected abstraction of physical space. Meaning, we created new relationships between rooms that weren’t there physically [see previous post]; we evidently reorganized physical space to amplify spatial connections and/or data readings.
I began to imagine how I could relate this back to the hidden spaces within my apartment, like pinching together visible spaces with hidden ones. Now I start to wonder wherever I am in the apartment what is happening to those spaces I cannot see but can hear. I press my ear to walls and floors, trying to connect groans and creaks with rooms underneath and beside. The water pump in the attic roars to life when I open a valve. So I go to the bathroom at 4am and have to time my washing up so as not to wake the beast upstairs. I know my apartment well enough but when I hear my neighbors moving about the acoustics change. I can hear conversations coming through where there should be closets and stairs not rooms. Have they discovered new rooms or are they living in the walls? Like Gormenghast in your living room floor, Alice through the kitchen sink or “Schrödinger's Cat as retold by Rem Koolhaas: a potentially unreal maze of interconnected architectural spaces enshrouding you on all sides like a halo. Saint Crawlspace.”
 
Gordon Matta Clark (American) 1943 – 1978 [he cut whole sections of floors, ceilings or roofs to expose the hidden spaces in between]



AntiVJ & Crea Composite: Nuit Blanche Bruxelles from AntiVJ on Vimeo.

During the crit a suggestion was to instill a program. Allow the program to drive the project and then use the AR and wiimote media to be the tool for exploration/explaining. If I begin from a simple point the project thus far would be for an exploration of space beyond the hidden.

-This was sent to me by Aqueel. During the review Nic asked if it was so bad to have a projected final project. I am keeping the option open after seeing this.
Royskopp . Remind Me

1 comment:

wei.tze said...

The second film is awsome, it contains everything about architecture...jesus..